Production Assistant Job Opening for Spring 2017 and Beyond
Reports to Director of Production
OVERVIEW OF COMPANY
A Cappella Productions (ACP) is a production company focusing solely on Vocal Music Production. Based in Buffalo, NY, and in our seven year history we have produced over 700 shows, 50 studio albums, and have worked with numerous high school, collegiate, and professional a cappella groups and bands.
A Cappella Productions is responsible for all shows and events held by our clients. This includes up to and exceeding one-hundred shows per year, a busy season of cross-town and away shows/events. The company operates by providing sound, lighting, and recording services for contemporary a cappella groups and supporting revenue streams from production hires and construction services.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
We are looking for dedicated individuals who have a desire to work in concert and studio production environments. Experience in theatre or production is desired but not required. An ideal candidate will have the ability to 'think on their feet' and move quickly in a high paced environment. All necessary skills and training will be provided on the job as well during various training and networking events. This position is ideal for students or seasonal employees who desire to work during the college semester schedule.
The Production Assistant is a key role in the company, working on all in house projects and external productions, shows, private hires, rentals, external builds and other events. The Production Assistant will be focused on contemporary a cappella shows, assisting with stock management, building and equipment maintenance, set-up and support, and production logistics. The ideal candidate will have a background in stage management or technical theatre, and be looking to further their career towards production management. This is a job suited to a confident, organized "all-arounder" (equally confident with a power tool, a paintbrush, or a par can) with an inherent knowledge of the value of assets and proven experience of working within a team towards a common end.
- Assisting the Production Manager with the effective control of production expenditure
- Working with creative and production teams to ensure that the highest standards are met within available budgets for our clients.
- Attending production and post-production evaluation meetings as required.
- Working as required on all A Cappella Productions shows, assisting with equipment set-up, maintenance, and storage.
- Working between disciplines on pre-production, load-in, set-up, soundchecks, and load-outs of all shows, private hires, rentals, and other jobs.
- Working in a ‘hands-on’ manner, with a knowledge of sound, AV and electrics as well as basic construction techniques and a highly developed sense of stagecraft.
- Ensuring that all visiting companies and creative teams are made to feel welcome in the building and receive the highest level of support.
- Driving the company truck and other hired vehicles.
- Assisting with show paperwork, records and archives.
- Deputizing and requesting help from team members as required to complete tasks.
Premises, Stores & Equipment
- Working with the Production Manager to ensure income through production facilities, stock and hires.
- Ensuring that all production facilities, stock and storage areas are kept in a tidy, organized state, with equipment effectively cataloged.
- Ensuring that all equipment, tools etc are in a safe, working order.
- Supporting the Technical and Operations Managers with building maintenance, FOH electrics and other tasks.
- Assisting with stage and electrics maintenance throughout the year and during the annual dark period (months without shows).
- Working within the company’s Ethics, Confidentiality, and Safety Policies, and ensuring that this is adhered to by all members of staff and freelancers.
- Contributing to the development of productions, with particular regard to technical operations.
- Undertaking any other duties appropriate to the nature of the post, as agreed with the Production Manager.
- Project management and organization skills
- EXCEPTIONAL written and spoken communication skills as well as interpersonal skills
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to low budgets and high standards.
- Ability and willingness to take a 'hands-on', practical approach and to go above and beyond
- Awareness of the customer experience and desire to go above and beyond in order to meet our customer's goals for productions
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Full driving license
- PC and Mac literate
- Knowledge of Ethics, Confidentiality, and Safety procedures.
- At least two years relevant experience in technical theatre
- Working knowledge of theatre electrics, sound and AV or equivalent technical knowledge outside of performing arts.
- Basic knowledge of rigging and some construction skills
- Experience of working and producing Contemporary A Cappella
- Working knowledge of Hog, ETC and ShowXpress software.
- CAD/Visio literate
- Experience of setting, managing and controlling budgets
- Touring experience
- Experience with mixing over eight channels of vocals simultaneously
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required. It is not wholly comprehensive or restrictive and may be reviewed with the post holder and line manager as required.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This is an 'eight month' industry with two seasons running February through May, and October through
- Minimum of 6 shows per season required attendance.
- Holidays not required unless requested.
A typical working weekend is 20 hours, Friday to Sunday not counting travel. 2:00PM to 12:00AM.
However, in order to fulfill the duties of the post, the post-holder will be required to work some
extended hours and weekdays, especially during busy weeks. The company operates a total additional
hours system for any additional hours worked and, except in exceptional circumstances, no overtime
payments are provided.
There will be an initial pay rate while you complete our training process. After completion, raises will be given commensurate with experience. All travel from departure point included. Lodging and one meal
included for overnights.
Please send a CV and cover letter, detailing your suitability for the post and level of experience with salary requirements, to
email@example.com. Prospective candidates will be contacted for in person or phone interview.